Most Read articles – Nvidia-Arm, Important Taiwan, Risc-V Integrity

What are the topics covered this week? There’s the Nvidia acquisition of Arm (both news story and blog post), the new Chair of the IET, the Integrity RTOS for Risc-V and the importance of Taiwan…

5. IET selects first female Chair in its 150-year history
Dr Carol Marsh OBE – the Deputy Head of Electronics Engineering at the aerospace company Leonardo – has been selected by members of the Institution of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) Council to chair the organisation. The decision makes her the first female Chair of the IET in its 150-year history. Her tenure will run until 30 September 2022 and she says she will focus on connecting with existing engineering talent, while raising awareness of the dynamic role the future generation can play by becoming engineers.

4. Green Hills covers Risc-V with Integrity
Green Hills Software has announced a version of its safety and security-enhanced Integrity real-time operating system for RISC-V. The RTOS is integrated with hardware boards from Microchip (PolarFire Icicle kit) and SiFive (HiFive Unmatched board), processor IP from SiFive and can be used with Microchip’s PolarFireSoC and Mi-V ecosystem. “The integration of safety and security-critical RTOS Integrity into SiFive HiFive products is an exciting step forward for the Risc-V and SiFive ecosystem,” said SiFive CTO Yunsup Lee, co-inventor of Risc-V.

3. The Importance of Taiwan
Led by TSMC, Taiwan by far holds the largest share of leading-edge (i.e., <10nm) IC capacity (63%) of any country in the world. South Korea, represented by Samsung, holds the remaining 37%. As of December 2020, Taiwan held the largest share of IC industry capacity of any country or region in the world, says IC Insights. Combined with China’s IC capacity, the share of IC capacity within the borders of China and Taiwan would represent about 37% of global IC capacity, about 3x the amount of IC capacity located in North America.

2. EU May Make The Right Call On Nvidia-Arm [Mannerisms]
If, as extensively reported, the EU may decide on October 27th to subject the proposed Nvidia-Arm merger to a prolonged investigation, the electronics industry will breathe a sigh of relief. If an industry player gets control of the dominant processor architecture of an industry segment then it can suck out most of the profit from that segment for itself. We saw that with Wintel. Arm achieved its early success not only because it had a core which was suitable for mobile but because it was an IP development house selling its cores to everyone on equal terms.

1. EU moves towards four month investigation into Nvidia-Arm deal
The EU is going to put the Nvidia-Arm deal into a four month investigation process, reports Reuters. The expected decision follows the EU’s reported rejection of concessions offered by Nvidia. The UK government has also put the deal into an extended investigatory process. With Nvidia being a major Arm customer, the concern is that Arm’s policy of treating all customers the same would be prejudiced by the deal.

Source link

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Reset Password
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Shopping cart